#CookingWithGerber : 3 Easy Ideas PLUS $50 Gift Card Giveaway
Disclaimer: I’ve been hired by The Women Bloggers to share my experiences here. You can trust that I’d never recommend something to you that I don’t actually use and recommend.
If you’d seen my babyfood cabinet a year ago you would’ve thought I was preparing for the apocalypse. I was a “new” mom for the third time and it was packed. I’m a serial “throw-awayer” (it’s like the opposite of a hoarder) so I had to figure something out quick! Empty cupboards and hungry bellies have a way of turning you into a kitchen magician. I decided to try cooking with Gerber baby food.
Composting has made me a waste hater so, when the idea came to use up all those extra sweet potato and cereals I was excited to try. I wasn’t really shocked that it was almost like cooking with my normal ingredients. Unlike many other brands, Gerber’s products contain minimal ingredients that are easy to read. That made it a breeze to do easy substitutions and hide some veggies from the boys. Remember how they reacted the last time I tried to hide veggies from them! I’m getting pretty good at it! I’m still finding different uses for these convenient products. The possibilities are almost endless. Being a gardener, I absolutely LOVE fresh produce but being a busy mom, there’s nothing like being able to use wholesome ingredients to get a good meal in your family when you’re getting in (or running) late. Add to that the fact that I can hide things like peas and squash in breakfast, lunch or even snack recipes. (Sidenote: This works for husbands too because we all know men “don’t eat vegetables”. LOL!) Here’s a few recipe’s I tried subbing Gerber baby food when I ran out of traditional ingredients. My boys are serious pancake addicts. When I first tried #CookingWithGerber products, that was my go-to. I never do anything the “regular” way so I went super healthy and made Sweet Potato Banana pancakes! They were thee bomb! So good in fact, I ate my plate before I even finished cooking! Yes, mama got first dibs! Yes to starting the day off #winning. Here’s the recipe for those.
- 2 Cups whole wheat flour
- 2 Cups Gerber Oatmeal Banana cereal
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 package Gerber Applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg or 2 egg whites
- 1 1/3 Cup buttermilk
- 1 Small Sweet Potato, cooked, peeled and mashed
- 3 Tbsp butter for cooking
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium to large bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients in a separate bowl until well incorporated.
- Make a well (a shallow dip) in dry ingredients and add wet ingredients carefully.
- Stir until well blended.
- Scoop onto buttered, heated griddle (medium high heat) and spread like pancakes.
- Allow to cook on first side until side begin to turn golden.
- Flip and allow to cook on the second side for about 3 minutes.
- For thicker pancakes, add 1/3 cup more flour to batter. For thinner pancakes, add 1/3 cup water.
Enter my #CookingWithGerber $50 Gift Card Giveaway